The Departments of Early Printed Books and Manuscripts & Archives operate a new joint Reading Room in the Old Library and offer access to current TCD staff and students as well as external researchers.
Our opening hours are 10.15am-12.15pm and 1.30pm-3.30pm. (Monday-Friday) and 10.15am-12.15pm (Saturday).
Location: The joint Reading Room is in the East Pavilion of the Old Library and will be familiar to users of the old Early Printed Books Reading Room. To access the joint Reading Room, readers should use the Berkeley Library entrance and then follow the signs directing you along the Berkeley Library tunnel. From there a lift or stairwell will take you to the joint Reading Room.
Information for researchers wishing to consult Manuscripts and Archives holdings
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following details:
- What material you would like to consult. Please include relevant information such as name of collection, title of the work and MS reference number.
- Your contact details, including your mobile phone number.
- If you have a preference for a morning (10.15am) or afternoon (1.30pm) appointment.
- Please note that requests for holdings from the Manuscripts & Archives department must be made at least one week in advance.
- If you need to cancel the appointment at short notice or need any further clarification before arrival please ring 01 8961172.
Information for researchers wishing to consult Early Printed Books material
- Readers can now order material online via the main library catalogue or, where prompted, by submitting dockets at any of the library counters.
- Readers are no longer required to arrange a booking to view the requested material. However, as we are operating at a reduced capacity and expect high demand, we cannot guarantee desk-space will always be available.
- External researchers will need to email email@example.com in advance to arrange access.
In preparation for your visit please read the following guidelines
- There are handwashing facilities in the Berkeley Library corridor. We ask that you wash your hands before arriving at the joint Reading Room.
- You may be required to wear gloves when handling certain items from the collections.
- Any reader who intentionally disregards these instructions may be asked to leave.
- Please bring your own equipment such as pencils, paper, ruler, magnifying glass.
- Readers with impaired mobility should contact the relevant department (Early Printed Books or Manuscripts & Archives) in advance to make arrangements to view material.
- Please also note that we may experience events that may limit our ability to maintain this service and it is advisable to check the Library webpage for regular updates. We will email or phone readers consulting Manuscripts & Archives holdings if this happens, and you have already booked an appointment.